Those of you who know me know that my favorite days of the year are as follows:
10. The day the coffee is brewed when I wake up.
9. Whatever arbitrary day it is that wearing all winter clothing and lots of scarves and snowkflake earrings becomes socially acceptable.
8. The start of the various fashion weeks. Especially Paris, before Dior went and hired a furniture designer as their head. Still bitter.
7. Opening Day is pretty rad.
6. The day I get around to cleaning my mirror and realize my skin is not that bad.
5. The day of the silly but still awesome Oscars.
4. The day someone says something ridiculous and perfect at the Winter Meetings.
3. The day Starbucks brings out their seasonal drinks.
2. The day the bakery near my house starts making pumpkin rolls.
1. All of these days are awesome. But none of them match my unadulterated joy on that the Giants release their promotions and giveaways schedule for the coming season. This day is better than the day pumpkineggnogpeppermint creations hit a café near you, so it’s pretty damn good.
Some gems this year are the fedora promotion from a couple years ago on steroids: a plaid fedora. Plaid fedora. Yes, I mean a plaid fedora.
Moving right along, they’re giving away magnet schedules which I don’t remember them doing recently, but I do know the Grizzlies did in 2010. I used the magnet as a coaster and it was seriously the greatest giveaway on earth. Oddly but definitely useful. I only replaced it a few weeks ago with this wood-carving one which is nice, but not nearly as good at telling me who the Grizzlies are playing on May 15th, 2010.
There are the World Champions Umbrella and the World Series Parade Snow Globe, both of with kind of intrigue me, but neither of which are nearly as great as them Cubbies giving away lip balm last season. (It was probably Theo’s idea.)
Lastly, of course, there’s the very first giveaway: the mystery grab bag. I don’t really know what mystery grab bags generally entail, but if these ones don’t include a golden calf temporary tattoo à la Barry Zito, I’m throwing in the towel and becoming a Pirates fan.