I’m going to try to make this quick because Game 7 is creeping up on us and I have to try to do normal human being things in between now and then. (Crazy, I know.)
For starters, Game 6 was the best thing since… Game 5, I guess. We are spoiled, spoiled fans. Ryan Vogelsong pretty much convinced me for good that enchiladas are the food to eat the night before something important, being every bit as good as we could have hoped and the offense did that crazy thing called hitting, time and time again. I don’t know – and I don’t even know if I want to know – what it is about being faced with elimination that makes this team wake up, but it is amazing to watch.
Tonight is Game 7, so now seems like a good moment for a 7 Things About the Number 7 list.
7. It’s the number you can either write like it’s going to look in this blog post, which sort of reminds me of a tree without any branches, or you can write it with the cross through it and sit back and wait for people to ask you what the heck you are writing. Have fun, guys.
6. 7-Eleven of “at the center of the earth in the parking lot / of the 7-Eleven where I was taught” fame. That is literally my only association with 7-Eleven. Can you tell I grew up in the Bay Area? We don’t drink Slurpees here, we drink $8 organic smoothies.
5. 007. My name is Diamond Girl. SF Diamond Girl.
4. The traditional count of Basque provinces as expressed in the slogan Zazpiak Bat. I love you too, Wikipedia.
3. The number of islands in Atlantis. You know, people have thrown out pretty much every location on the face of the planet for where Atlantis could have been, but has anyone suggested McCovey Cove? No? Let me be the first.
2. The number of games you play when your team gets a kick out of being up for elimination.
1. What we’re going to bite our nails through tonight. I’m drifting between complete confidence and abject misery at the thought. Remember what I said about enjoying it, no matter what, win or lose? Still holds true. (Kinda.) Fingers crossed. With red licorice between them.
Yes, We Cain.