I went out today and actually sat in the sunshine and had a picnic. It’s been raining here in the Bay Area for what feels like forever, so it was pretty amazing. I finished “Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World” by Michael Lewis (which is absolutely, fabulously good and you should read it right now, even if your eyes cross at the word “subprime”) and then I caught the end of the ballgame and felt rather wonderful. I love many things about Spring Training, but I also cannot wait for the real thing to begin and for all the final roster cuts and all that jazz. I also can’t wait for the Giants to be back in San Francisco. You are free to call me crazy, but let me finish first. I do not generally consider myself a psychic, but when the Giants are in town? I can totally feel the presence. Now I also believe that eating these Vitamin C gummy bears actually keeps me from getting sick, so I am probably not a source. But it’s all psychological, so who can really argue with me?
Anyhow. This year, rather than repeating last year’s Goodbye Spring Training – which you can read here, if you are so inclined – I am going to infuse a little bit of optimism into the (theoretical) mix. Ready? Okay. This is 10 Reasons I Am Excited Right About Now. The “now” I refer to is 5:55pm on the day the Giants played their last Spring Training game of 2012. You’re welcome, historians 5000 years hence.
10. Zito’s new mechanics! Yeah. April Fool’s. I got you there, right? Right?
9. All of the various injured players re-proving themselves. Along with the young guys who just crack the team, the injured players have got to be some of the most fascinating storylines of the year. Lookin’ at you, Buster Posey.
8. Speaking of which, Buster Posey. Can I (for once) speak for the whole of the Giants fanbase, when I say we are tremendously, tremendously stoked?
7. The Bruce Bochy show. KNBR listeners, you know of what I speak. Non-KNBR listeners, why the heck don’t you listen?
6. Interleague Play. I still object on some sort of deep, moral grounds, Bud Selig, but since the Giants get the AL West this year, I am borderline mollified for the time being. Aside from the obvious they-are-playing-the-Rangers, I’m interested to see the matchup with the resident Interesting Team of the year, the Angels. Who also have quite a nice dining area which serves basically cold hamburgers, for whatever it’s worth.
5. The draft. It’s still many months off, but the beginning of the season does signal how it’s getting closer and pretty soon, we’ll be treated to the draft breakdowns in the media and all that fun stuff. July, it’s Emily calling, can you please come a wee bit sooner?
4. The Hobbit movie. Well, I am.
3. Never using the Despicable Me balloon scene photos again. Because the Giants are not going to disappoint me that way this year. Positive affirmations are everything, people.
2. More animal themed hats at AT&T Park! And that right there was my second April Fool’s. Aside from the obvious fashion-faux-pas-ness of them (it’s hard, you know, to adequately match an outfit to a giraffe-print hat), there’s the issue of short people like yours truly not really at all being able to see over them. Consideration is key, People Who Attend AT&T Park. Because we’re getting back… together and all that.
1. Since I don’t want to be lame and say the smell of fresh grass… I’ll just say cinnamon roasted walnuts. Not the ones they sell at the park, mind you, because I am boycotting those because of labor issues with Diamond Foods, their manufacturer (not to be confused with Diamond Girl), but the other brands you can buy at the grocery story. They are dee-lish-us. And I am excited. Excited excited.