I admit it: I do not know quite what Billy Beane was thinking with yesterday’s trade, which sent Trevor Cahill and Craig Breslow to Arizona. (Strategically done, of course, after the Winter Meetings because Beane is a spoilsport and doesn’t like doing things at the most dramatic time of year. Excuse me, I’m in a bad mood with him right now.) Looking at it unbiased, I would say it’s a gamble on the A’s part, but maybe a gamble that could pay off.
But I do have that bias. Why, you ask? I am not much of an A’s fan and really, really not a Diamondbacks fan. But I am a Giants fan (duh, right there). And that trade probably just made Arizona, oh, a thousand times better for 2012. Really? No slack for your across-the-bay-buddies, Billy? I may have to renounce my Moneyball/Billy Beane love right now. Jon Daniels so just got the Best-Dressed GM Award back, without even wearing any fabulous clothes.
After reading up on that trade, I went to look at Rangers news, but that was basically depressing too.
I told you I was having post-Winter-Meetings depression.
I figure if I’m all baseball-depressed, then everyone else must be with me. So I’ve decided to list 5 things us Giants fan should be excited about for 2012! Because aside from facing Cahill tons, there really is a lot to get stoked for. Ready? Okay. You sure? Okay.
5. Vogelsong/Strong. Vogey’s amazing breakout year in 2011 was… for lack of a better word, rather amazing. Being the skeptic that I am, though, I want to see more of that before I go all ga-ga (not in the Lady sense). I think we’re all really curious to see what he’s going to follow it up with and I, for one, am getting excited already.
4. All the new wedding rings on the field. They’ll glint. In the stadium lights. I think.
3. Angel Pagan. Yes, I said it before, but I’ll say it again. He has a fabulous name.
2. Freddy Sanchez. Picture him playing ball. With just that image, are you not excited now?! I am beyond, beyond excited to have him back out for the Giants. Things are just sure to get better with him at second base.
1. [insert cheesy line here about the smell of freshly mowed grass and hot dogs and the crack of the bat]
0. This bonus one goes to The Dark Knight Rises. I liked Batman Begins much better than The Dark Knight, to be perfectly honest, and unfortunately, Liam Neeson does not appear to be reprising his role in the new one (I mean, he was in a massive train explosion, but I don’t assume he’s dead) but I’m stoked to go back to Gotham City all the same.
And, well, duh, The Hobbit. But that’s so near the end of 2012 that it might as well be 2013. Still, I am just about swooning over it already.
There we go. This post just went from “Completely Depressing” to “Basically Upbeat”. The movie talk and the cheesy line probably helped.