I was a bit surprised. Of all the pitchers, Sanchez was the obvious one to trade for A Bat and this deal was a darn good one for him, but I was still surprised. I liked Sanchez, personally, when he was sitting in the dugout or doing interviews or something, but when he was on the mound, it was nothing short of maddening. The no-hitter was fun, but Sanchez? Not so much.
If I can just disassociate Melky from Miguel in my twisted brain, then all will be well. He can bat leadoff/play center/bring balance for the Force and I am (almost, kindasorta) stoked.
Let’s get to know the newest Giant, shall we?!
10. His full name is Melky Astacio Cabrera, which kind of sounds like an almond dessert to me. Which is, yeah, good.
9. He’s not as old as you would think. (No, really.)
8. His nickname, though, is, “Leche” as in milk (think dulce de) and the Yankees had a “Tiene Leche?”, “Got Milk” scoreboard graphic for whenever he did something impressive. Do you think that’s copyrighted? Or could we rip it off? Because if the Giants use it, I promise to brave the crowds and go to a million games next year.
7. He’s not as old as you would think. (No, really.)
6. He’s best friends with Robbie Cano. So maybe that means the Giants now have a chance at Cano or something…? I kid, I kid.
5. He’s not as old as you would think. (No, really.)
4. His birthday is August 11th. We could start planning a surprise for him now, actually. The sun is shining, the team is in first place, I repeat, the team is in first place… and there’d be cake and ice cream and piñatas and all that. But the important part is, ahem, first place.
3. He’s not as old as you would think. (No, really.)
2. He loves cupcakes and Star Wars. Okay, I completely made that up. But I’m trying to make this guy more likable, can you blame me for that?
1. He’s not as old as you would think. The kid’s 27. Sabean traded for someone who’s 27! I mean, do you understand the magnitude of this? The implications?