When they’re not being shut out by Kershaw, doesn’t it seem like the Giants score eight runs just about every game, lately? Not complaining, or anything. I really dig it. Just noting.
So I, being the mystic that I am, starting sleuthing around about what the number eight means.
- The Baltimore Orioles Hall of Famer Cal Ripken, Jr.’s number was 8 as was the New York Yankees, for Hall of Famer’s Yogi Berra.
- Eight is considered a lucky number in Chinese culture because it sounds like the word meaning to generate wealth (發(T) 发(S); Pinyin: fā). Property with the number 8 may be valued greatly by Chinese. For example, a Hong Kong number plate with the number 8 was sold for $640,000. The opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics in Beijing started at 8 seconds and 8 minutes past 8 pm (local time) on 8 August 2008.
- In human adult dentition there are eight teeth in each quadrant. The eighth tooth is the so-called wisdom tooth.
- In the Middle Ages, 8 was the number of “unmoving” stars in the sky, and symbolized the perfectioning of incoming planetary energy.
- 8 Mile is a (Diamond Girl note: artsy, slow, emo) 2002 film directed by Curtis Hanson
- The 8-track cartridge is a musical recording format
- “Section 8″ is common U.S. slang for “crazy”, based on the U.S. military’s Section 8 discharge for mentally unfit personnel
- In numerology, 8 is the number of building, and in some theories, also the number of destruction.
- The Dharmacakra, a Buddhist symbol, has eight spokes. The Buddha’s principal teaching—the Four Noble Truths — ramifies as the Noble Eightfold Path. In Mahayana Buddhism, the branches of the Eightfold Path are embodied by the Eight Great Bodhisattvas (Manjusri, Vajrapani, Avalokiteśvara, Maitreya, Ksitigarbha, Nivaranavishkambhi, Akasagarbha, and Samantabhadra). Similarly, Buddha’s birthday falls on the 8th day of the 4th month of the Chinese calendar.
- 8 apparitions appear to Macbeth in Act 4 scene 1 of Shakespeare’s Macbeth as representations of the 8 descendants of Banquo
- A stop sign has eight sides.
So, yeah. I think the eight runs thing has a big meaning. I just can’t quite figure out what it is, but… I’m sure it’s there.
p.s. Wikipedia rocks.