So. Interleague play with the Twins kicks off tonight in San Francisco. As National League people, I figure we could all use a few facts about our opponent for the coming three days. Here goes.
10. They play at Target Field. Don’t get me wrong, I actually like Target. But Target Field? I can’t like that.
9. Their slogan this year is “This Is Twins Territory”. You know the point when alliterative becomes corny?
8. Their catcher (Joe Mauer, that is. You may have heard of him?) does commercials for Head and Shoulders Shampoo. I will love this guy forever. Too great.
7. They’re named the Twins like the Twin Cities. À la “Boy meets girl… Romeo and Juliet… Sampson and Delilah… Minneapolis and St. Paul…” –Groucho Marx
6. Their General Manager is named Bill Smith. Search that on Wikipedia. Because of the number of people who come up, they’re all subdivided into industries. It’s something to see.
5. They are in second to last place in their division…
4. …but are 9-1 in their last 10…
3. …and on a 7 game winning streak
2. Then again, they last played the Padres and we all know how easy it is to beat San Diego. I mean, just look at the Giants record versus them last year! Okay, forget it. Don’t.
1. Despite how scary the last few Facts About the Twins might seem, they are human. Very human. Make that 31-39 on the year. So, you know. Not too scary.
p.s. Speaking of totally great commercials? I know I’m a little late to the party, but the MLB Always Epic campaign is brilliance. Minus the strange Wilson one. But Fielder’s ball flying over Mongolia and Ubaldo’s overall adorableness? Perfection.