Not a slow news day! Huff was resigned to a two year deal, with option for 2013 and Josh Hamilton won the AL MVP Award. Huge congratulations to him. I am totally wearing my antlers around town today.
The (sort of) eternal optimist that I am, I decided to come up with 10 Things I Love About the Offseason. It was actually surprisingly easy. I’ve discovered there are plenty of things to love about the offseason. Optimism is good. And the offseason isn’t too bad either.
10. The promise of the coming season. I mean, the Pirates could go to the World Series next year. Even just a few weeks into season, some hopes start to disappear. Obviously for Giants fans, we didn’t really want that season to end, but if your team finished anything short of a championship win, the promise of the new season is beautiful.
9. I don’t go through gum as fast, because I’m less on edge. Being a gum addict for half the year, but it’s nice to have a little respite.
8. I’m a bit of a player transaction geek, so I love reading about the GM meetings and the Winter Meetings. I also love to “oogle the player in his new jersey!” press conferences.
7. I get to slip into the glazed-over-eyes-I-don’t-get-sports-give-me-a-Gucci-handbag-please mode when people are talking about football, basketball or worst, boxing. I do not get boxing at all. I would rather shop at The Gap than hear about boxing and I really hate The Gap. I started hated them even more after the new logo thing. Graphic designer nightmare.
6. Bandwagon fans start to disappear a few weeks into the offseason. Which is a relief for hardcore people.
5. I also come across as a semi (believe me, only semi) normal person when I wear my antlers. It’s almost Christmas time, so I can pass as a Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer enthusiast. Do those even exist?
4. A new Giants calendar comes out. The one I currently have has Fred Lewis and other so-pre-Championship-era people on it and I’ve been waiting for the updated, 2011 one to come out. The old one does, however, feature Wilson sans beard which is a lovely thing. You win some, you lose some.
3. All the award announcements rule. As lamely as they’re announced, it’s still a fun and interesting time of year. We do really need a red carpet award show for MLB, though, as I’ve discussed previously. I think Bumgarner should go after a Taylor Lautner look- traditional with some hip flair.
And Jon Daniels should rock a tough look, like Justin Timberlake at the VMA’s.
And when I open the show, I would, of course, be wearing Carey-Mulligan-similar Prada (2010 Oscars). Or something vintage, like Penelope Cruz (2009 Oscars).
Would I lose all my blog readers if I did a whole post on what baseball players should wear to a potential MLB red carpet event?
2. Anyway! Onwards from clothes! Well, actually… another good thing about the offseason is that I can go back to wearing colors that compliment my complexion more. A.K.A., not orange. I show my pride more subtly in black this time of year.
1. And last but not least, I love how it makes me appreciate the season. The season wouldn’t be special without the offseason. So I’m relishing this for all the reasons above and catching snowflakes on my tongue. (Well, I would be if it snowed in the Bay Area. More like catching raindrops on my tongue which is not a superior experience to drinking water, so…)
So what am I missing on this list? What do you love about the offseason?
Wishing everyone in the MLBlogs community a lovely Thanksgiving. No, I will not be hitting the shops on Black Friday. As much as I love to shop, I hate crowds and can never find anything that fits me even when the stores are totally stocked. Cyber Monday is more my style. I’m a Gen Z-er through and through!